Monday, March 26, 2012

SCONES AND JUICE FOR LUNCH

  Simplicity is bliss.

  As a teenager, I remember telling my mom how I liked my foods simple. I never liked sauces and gravies, just plain potatoes or rice with additional, say, slices of tomatoes and a piece of bread on the side. Period.
  To that I still hold. I do eat a lot enough, but the type of food is simple. A good example is my Tuesday lunch I have composed for my Oestara-menu this year: fresh juice with warm scones. Aahhh...


I always need something fresh for lunch, and juice is a great alternative for salads. Straight-from-the-oven-scones are heavenly! These are made gluten free and vegan. You can vary the ingredients endlessly according to the season and your liking. It goes sweet or salty, very versatile!

To make my juices, I always use whatever I happen to have.. This time there were apples, fennel, and beet.

Scones for my taste; gluten free and thin. 3-4 of these will do...


This is a delightfully simple and tasty lunch, which provides good nutrition and doesn´t make me fat!

The recipes:
  
Juice:
 2 Granny Smith apples
1/2 bulb of fennel
1 beet

+ Juice.

Scones:
 4 dl flour (I used home-ground millet and buckwheat, with some corn starch)
2 tsp  baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
2 dl water or milk (I used soy milk)
2  shredded apples (or carrots, bananas, beets, cabbage even, tomatoes, pumpkin, berries... whatever)
cinnamon (or any seasoning suitable for the chosen vegetable/fruit)

+ Mix all and scoop 7-9 scones on baking trays. Bake at 225 Celsius for 15 min. Serve immediately with butter/vegan margarine. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment