Saturday, December 22, 2012

MY FAVORITE HOME MADE BREAD

  Now this is easy. I´m no baker by nature, but since I want to eat as much additive-free, home made food as possible, I have been on a quest to find a recipe quick and easy enough even for me.


  Have no fear, this bread is so full of nutrients, that it will not make you fat! So many people are afraid of carbohydrates these days that an honest, clean, whole grain bread may feel like a vicious enemy. But I assure you, I have eaten this bread a ton lately, and have not gained any weight. =) After eating it I feel satisfied and full for a long time. Yummy and healthy!

  The (basic) recipe:

5 dl water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp raw cane sugar
1 bag (11g or 3 tsp) dry yeast
about 1 liter flour (I always use 1/4 white and 3/4 whole grain flour)
1/2 dl oil

+ In luke warm water mix the yeast, 1/4 of flour, salt and sugar. Cover with a cloth and let sit for 10-15 min, until you see it rise and form bubbles.
  Add in the rest of the flour, or until it feels right. (Depending on the flour, more or less may be needed.) Finally mix in the oil.
  Place in a greased kettle, cake tin, or whatever you have big enough in hand and cover once more. Let rise for about 30min and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 45 min. or until it is done (again, more or less time may be needed, depending on the form and size of your container). This dough is not sensitive to overtime, it will not burn easily, I have tested... =)

  To this basic recipe can be added pretty much anything you wish. In this particular one pictured I added two finely grated carrots, two finely grated apples, gingerbread seasoning mix, grated lemon peel, and raisins to make it Christmasy.
  My baby girl eats this bread three times every single day. She will only taste, out of pitty, I´m sure, a couple of spoonfuls other food I try to feed her. And the rest of the meal is all about my home made, salt-free bread. I get her to eat veggies by grating them into this bread dough. I have even added celery root in it, and she has eaten the bread with the greatest joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment