Sunday, December 28, 2014

STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES

  Occasionally on Sundays, if at home, I like to put a little extra effort on making lunch. Today I made stuffed grape leaves (inspired by ever-so-gorgeous chick Mimi Kirk´s original recipe), which are still very easy, but to my convenience-loving standards take a bit more time than everyday cooking. =)

Grape leaves are not raw, but the filling is.

Rolling up the leaves takes the most time. If in a hurry (like I was a week ago), the stuffing can be eaten also as a salad with some chopped lettuce.

In place of grape leaves you can also use any green salad leaves.
  The recipe (serves 1):

Filling:
1 parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 clove garlic
1/2-1 fresh cucumber, finely diced
1/2 fermented cucumber, finely diced
1 avocado, cubed
1/2 Tbsp dried mint
salt & pepper

+ Place the parsnip and garlic in a food processor and run the machine until the consistency resembles cooked rice. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix with a spoon.

  To assemble:
  Place a generous tablespoon of the filling onto a grape leaf, and roll up folding in the sides. Place on an oven dish. Roll up as many as the filling yields. Brush a little olive oil on top of the rolls and place in the oven, set as low as possible, with the door ajar to let out excess heat. Let warm at least an hour, or until lunch time.

  I do not own a dehydrator, so I´ve been experimenting with warming up some foods in our regular oven. I need to leave the door slightly open, or the temperature climbs up too high destroying enzymes. I know I´m doing fine as long as I can comfortably take out the oven dish with my bare (heat-sensitive) hands.

1 comment: